While working on a longcruise in the US Navy, puffing towards the Persian Gulf on a small Fast Frigate, there was one guy on my detachment that would play the same cassette tape, over and over. The tape was actually starting to wear a bit, and you could hear the high notes start to warble from the sun beating down on the overworked stereo-boombox.

We listened to John Cougar Mellencamp. Over. and Over. and Over again.

This went on for almost a week, when he switched to Meat Loaf, some post-Bat out of Hell tape. That also was played over and over and over again.

We grew sick of this limited range of muzak, and our Chief told us it was first-come, first-served when it came to that boombox.

The guy in charge of the paperwork for repairing our two helicoptors was AZ3 Erving, and he happened to have a CD of... The Dead Milkmen! We taped the one song called Bitchin' Camaro on a cassette about 16 times in rapid succession, then went out to put it in the boombox before the Monotonous Sailor showed up for his shift.

As soon as he walked through the door, we started the tape with the volume set up almost where the distortion would melt aluminum. He listened to it the first time through with a look of disgust. When it repeated, his look was worse. He never said a word, though. He put up with Bitchin' Camaro, and when the tape was over he replaced it with the John Cougar tape.

The next time I run into this situation, I think I'll take Jurph's advice and use hamsters on the evil repeat-offender (with the hamsters starved for two days and shoved down his shorts whilst he sleeps).