Been a tough week. Still dealing with a cracked molar and the lovely flavor of Orajel triple-medicated toothache pain relief. Earlier Ursula K. Le Guin passed away, and then one of the nicest gentlemen of horror, Jack Ketchum, real name Dallas Mayr, passed away. It's easy to say that so-and-so was nice after they're gone, but Dallas really was the most friendly and inclusive author I know in the field. He would walk up to new writers and chat with them like they were old friends. When people figured out it was the real Jack Ketchum hanging around and shooting the breeze, they'd either go all fannish or ask questions. He would always take the time to answer and give advice to the newbiest of newbies. 

To try and offset some of the sad things, I used FaceTime to talk to my granddaughter. Well, more talk at her while she babbled in her two-and-a-half year old sing-songy way. She's such a sweet and sassy little pickle. Well, not been through the brine of life, so more like Fresh_Cucumber. Goofy, not a care in the world, unlike her ancient Papa as she calls me. Life's made me more rancid and pickled over the years, but it's nice to see there's a cute little garden-fresh silly kid to make me smile whenever I need one. Thank you, Fresh_Cucumber.