Thomas á Becket, a Catholic saint, was born in 1118. While not yet a priest, he served on the staff of the Archbishopric of Canterbury. When Henry II ascended to the throne of England in 1154, Thomas's patron recommended him for the position of Chancellor, which he was offered and accepted. Thomas grew great in the counsels of the king, and when the Archbishop died in 1161, Thomas was appointed to the post (though he was ordained as a priest first).

Henry's rationale for this move seems to have been based in their friendship--if he had a close ally installed in this, the highest clerical seat in the land, he might gain leverage in his unremitting struggle against the Church hierarchy in Rome. Henry, as king, wanted authority over local Church matters, but Rome was unwilling to allow this type of devolution.

Thomas, at this point, seems to have had an epiphany--as Archbishop, Henry was no longer his master. Instead, he owed his allegiance to the Pope. This change of heart was soon known to the wrathful king, and Thomas, popular as he was in his community, was forced into exile in France in 1164. He retained his authority while in exile, and even excommunicated several English priests who sided with Henry.

He slipped back into England in 1170. At this point, Henry is said to have uttered those famous words, "Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest?" Four knights, overhearing these words and hungry for glory, forced their way into the cathedral and murdered Thomas. A series of miracles was reported after his death, and he was canonized in 1173. Henry eventually did penance for his role in the murders, involving walking barefoot through the city and being beaten by monks. St. Thomas's original shrine is no longer with us--it was destroyed by Henry VIII in 1538, who believed it was a bad example of the Church's authority over the state. (A modern shrine can be found in Canterbury Cathedral.)

This is an interesting prayer to St. Thomas I found:

Let us pray. O God, for the sake of Whose Church the glorious Bishop Thomas fell by the sword of ungodly men: grant, we beseech Thee, that all who implore his aid, may obtain the good fruit of his petition. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Who livest and reignest with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, forever and ever. Amen.