A type of drinking game from Holland. It goes like this: one person is allocated to be the priest. No one is allowed to go to the toilet before the priest. That's it.

Now, this game MUST be played in a bar and with beer. Otherwise it's no fun. If you were in Holland I wouldn't have to say this, because all they drink is beer, and in bars. But for you Americans, Japanese, Mozamibquans, etc, who know that an orgasm is also a type of drink, I had to make that point.

The point is, when you drink lots of beer, you have to go to the toilet. The more you drink, the more you need to go. So it's in everyone's interest to get the priest sloshed, so that he'll go to the toilet, so that they can go to the toilet. Now, you must pick the priest so that it'll be someone who will like getting sloshed. In Holland, that isn't too difficult. So people begin needing to go, and they buy the priest drinks. That's it, basically. The priest gets lots of free drinks, until he can't hold it in anymore. Then you can pick a new priest. Now no one is allowed to go until he goes.

Just make sure the emergency room near you is not too packed when you start playing this game. Burst bladders are a bitch.

It is interesting to note that in the New Testament Greek, no distinction is made between priests and bishops. The word presbuterion in the Greek, commonly translated as priest, simply means "one who is older." The word espicopos from which bishop is derived (hence episcopal describing the area over which a bishop presides) is literally translated as "overseer."

These two words describe the same person - one describing his function, the other describing a property. They are used interchangably.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Priest (?), n. [OE. prest, preost, AS. preost, fr. L. presbyter, Gr. elder, older, n., an elder, compar. of an old man, the first syllable of which is probably akin to L. pristinus. Cf. Pristine, Presbyter.]

1. Christian Church

A presbyter elder; a minister; specifically: (a) R. C. Ch. & Gr. Ch.

One who is authorized to consecrate the host and to say Mass; but especially, one of the lowest order possessing this power

. Murdock. (b) Ch. of Eng. & Prot. Epis. Ch.

A presbyter; one who belongs to the intermediate order between bishop and deacon. He is authorized to perform all ministerial services except those of ordination and confirmation.

2.

One who officiates at the altar, or performs the rites of sacrifice; one who acts as a mediator between men and the divinity or the gods in any form of religion; as, Buddhist priests.

"The priests of Dagon."

1 Sam. v. 5.

Then the priest of Jupiter . . . brought oxen and garlands . . . and would have done sacrifice with the people. Acts xiv. 13.

Every priest taken from among men is ordained for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins. Heb. v. 1.

In the New Testament presbyters are not called priests; but Christ is designated as a priest, and as a high priest, and all Christians are designated priests.

 

© Webster 1913.


Priest (?), v. t.

To ordain as priest.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.