This is often (rightly or wrongly) considered to be Dire Straits' finest album. I personally find it hard to pick one album out as the best, with the proviso that it isn't Making Movies.

Track Listing: (The correct order)

  1. So Far Away
  2. Money For Nothing
  3. Walk Of Life
  4. Your Latest Trick
  5. Why Worry
  6. Ride Across The River
  7. The Man's Too Strong
  8. One World
  9. Brothers In Arms
Published in 1985, it has some of the band's most popular tracks. This album certainly ushers in a new sound for Knopfler's band. Always blues-influenced, this album has a smoother sound, and combines a new "big sound", exemplified in Brothers in Arms, with the more pared-down and percussive elements in their sound (This combination is much in evidence in One World).

Although criticised as cheesy, Walk of Life enjoys continued popularity with listeners, and fills the transition between Money for Nothing and Your Latest Trick.

Note the change in mood at this point in the album: Suddenly the mood of the songs becomes much darker, culminating in the war criminal's lament that is The Man's Too Strong. One World and Brothers in Arms avoid the outright jollity of the beginning of the album, but express a more hopeful (and orchestral) sound. When One World kicks in with its unmistakeable energy, the listener wakes up, ready to experience Brothers in Arms. The sound of that track can best be compared to the sun rising over dawn, slowly spreading light and hope over the land.