Confessions of a New Editor   aka   What I did in my first month with buttons.

First of all, I'm very excited to be an editor. To say I didn't see it coming would be a lie, although nothing is ever a sure thing and I certainly hoped it was coming. I've been angling for this job for over a year now and eyeing it even longer. Long gone are the days when I can churn out content on a daily or even weekly basis, at least while I'm distracted by finishing up graduate school, but I still want to contribute something to the community. The duties of an editor seemed to me like the next step and so here I am.

So what have I been up to? Oddly enough I've actually noded more, but more importantly I've been working to welcome new users. In the month of November I probably contacted hundreds of new users with what I hope is a friendly welcome and a pointing to of useful information. My hope is to get to them before they make the usual mistakes of formatting or linking which lead to nuking and discouragement. I never realized how many new accounts are created on a daily basis, this has been a delightful revelation for me.

I have also done a bit of nuking and editing, though I won't list any names or nodes here. All authors are aware that I nuked their work, there's been no hiding behind a now defunct deathbot. And if i edited someone's work it was with their knowledge, by messaging them with corrections or by making spelling/grammar changes when authors have been gone for months or years.

In short, I've been doing the typical work of an editor. I have done nothing outstanding yet, and may only become a cog in a well oiled machine but I am contributing in a new way and after five years as a user it feels fresh and new again.

Of all of the messages I've received from new users while carrying out my welcoming efforts or editorial duties, the most satisfying is one that just appeared this morning and was the result of a vote and the blab! box.

Its nice to know that I'm not an invisible noder.

So, my end message for this month's report will be: Try to remember what it was like to be new and use that box to encourage each other!