Advantages of the HK G11 include better sustained accuracy due to reduced recoil from the free-floating barrel and mechanism; a unique limited-burst dispersion firing mode that accounts for normal aiming error and greatly increases the chance of at least one round from a burst hitting the target; and resistance to water, mud etc. because of the sealed housing (no brass ejection port). Disadvantages include more frequent need for cleaning due to propellant fouling, and highly nonstandard ammunition.

A bullpup design, the G11 fires 4.7mm caseless bullets. These projectiles trade momentum (stopping power) for kinetic energy (shock). Recall that momentum is mass * velocity, but kinetic energy is (mass * velocity squared)/2. So triple the muzzle velocity and you triple the momentum, but you more than quadruple the kinetic energy. This thing shreds. Muzzle velocity is so high that it's not necessary to adjust the sights up to the operating range of 300m, because the bullet drops only 17cm over that distance, and will penetrate a steel helmet at 600m.

Light, short and balanced over the pistol grip, the weapon is designed for quick deployment as a submachine gun, rifle, or light support weapon. It also looks more like a science fiction gun than anything but the Steyr AUG.

Caliber : 4.7 mm (.185 inch)
Type of cartridge : caseless
Length of weapon : 750 mm (29.5 inch)
Weight of weapon : 3.6 kg (7.9 lbs)
including 100 cartridges : 4.3 kg (9.5 lbs)
Sight : optical 1:1
Barrel length without chamber : 540 mm (21.3 inch)
Muzzle twist : 155 mm/twist (6.10 inch/twist)
Bore profile : polygon
Modes of fire : single shot, 3-round burst, sustained fire
Theoretical rates of fire:
3-round burst : > 2000 rpm
sustained fire : approx. 600 rpm
Muzzle velocity : 930m/s
Magazine capacity : 50 cartridges
Combat range : > 300 m (984 ft)
Steel helmet penetration : up to 600 m (1 969 ft)
Operating principle : gas operated, cartridge in the chamber
Bolt principle : cylinder bolt