Every year, billions of pieces of candy are given out on Halloween night. Of those, several hundred thousand are recycled when last year's old candy gets put in the gift bowls (you don't do that, do you?)

This is the story of a very peculiar caramel. Noone knows it's origin, some say it was made on the opening day of the Holland, Michigan Kraft plant in 1957. Others say more supernatural origins. We may never know for sure.

Like billions of other candys it ended up in an ordinary home on an ordinary street in an ordinary town. Some believe that town was Burkittsville, Maryland. Others say more supernatural origins. We may never know for sure.

Nevertheless, it ended up like dozens of other pieces in the gift bowl on Halloween night, where like so many of its peers, it was given away. Unfortunately it was not to the liking of the child who received it and remained untouched for a year in the cupboard.

On Halloween night 1958, that particular caramel, one half-eaten Rocket candy roll and a box of Popeye Candy Cigarettes er, Sticks got thrown in with that year's loot. Thus began its long journey. Others say more supernatural origins. We may never know for sure.

The Rocket candy and Popeye eventually got eaten by that second child but the caramel, alas, spent another year ignored hidden away in a bucket on a little girl's closet shelf. Once again it got thrown in in the 1959 candy bucket.

The next year, unbelievably, the same thing again. And the year after that, and next year too...

By the mid sixties, the little caramel had become quite frustrated at the yearly rejections. In the seventies frustration became anger. By the 80s anger let to hate.

By the 90s, the supernatural forces I alluded to earlier came to play and started transmutating the little caramel's very molecular structure started to mutate into something quite deadly, probably rat poison, cyanide or arsenic. Others say more supernatural origins. We may never know for sure.

In 2002, the transformation was complete. Due to the supernatural forces I alluded to earlier it looked exacly like any other regular caramel except for the fact it's 100% poisonous.

This year, don't eat the caramels, for you may eat The Cursed Caramel and DIE!11!!111!!1

RP: If the story is original, say so at the end. Original? Heh. It's full of cliches.

Audited for E2 Copyright Changes. Original work by author under pseudonym of Stavr0. Rights released to current owners of Everything2 Web Site.