Compiled overview of the 90 ton Cyclops 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



Stormvanger Assemblies Unlimited first placed the Cyclops into production in 2710. It was designed primarily as a heavy assault 'Mech, but its sophisticated communications and information network equipment make it equally valuable as a command vehicle. In battlefield situations, the 'Mech is capable of coordinating up to an entire BattleMech regiment with its sophisticated holographic Tacticon B-2000 battle computer while easily maintaining planet-wide and orbital communications using the Olmstead 840 tight beam comm system and Satnav satellite uplink.

Tactical doctrine usually places it in the reserve, where it can coordinate and support the overall actions of the other BattleMechs in its command. At regimental level and higher, the commander's Cyclops are usually guarded by a headquarters lance and supporting units.

The Cyclops' weaponry is mixed so that it can attack or defend itself against any opponent at any range necessary. The Delta Dart LRM-10 Missle Rack is capable of engaging the enemy at extreme range. The Zeus-36 Mk III autocannon can be used in the middle ranges. Finally, a pair of Diverse Optics Type 20 medium lasers along with the Hovertec SRM-4 Missle Rack can take on anything that gets nearer. With its diverse weaponry, the Cyclops is somewhat limited in ammunition storage; its projectile weapons tend to run out of ammunition quickly in extended battle situations.

Though the Cyclops' head section is armored as heavily as its internal structure can handle, the armor is somewhat inadequate. Most enemy 'Mechs will aim at the head of a Cyclops, knowing that any hits or even near misses could disable the sophisticated command equipment located there. Dealing damage to the obviously high ranking MechWarrior inside it is a bonus as well.

Even with these minor drawbacks, the Cyclops is a formidable weapon to be found in the battle lances of almost every 'Mech regiment in the Successor States, and has been a part of every major engagement in the Succession Wars.

Although the battles of the Succession Wars greatly reduced the number of Cyclops, the design is still employed in a variety of roles throughout the Inner Sphere. Although no manufacturer currently produces a standard field-modification kit for the Cyclops, unit commanders and their technicians have modified these BattleMechs in numerous ways. Most commonly, MechWarriors replace the original design's Zeus-36 Mk III autocannon with a Zeus Slingshot Gauss rifle. Although the Gauss rifle does slightly less damage than the autocannon, it possesses a far greater range and produces almost no waste heat.

Many MechWarriors also modify the Cyclops by installing more sophisticated communications equipment. Typically, the Cyclops is fifted with a C3 computer. Such computers provide superior communications capacity and other important advantages on the battlefield. For example, all the 'Mechs in a network of C3-equipped 'Mechs can use the targeting data supplied by the sensors of any other 'Mech in the network.

Though individuals have occasionally made personal modifications, the present-day Cyclops is virtually identical to the prototype that rolled off the assembly line in 2710.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.