A slightly chewy, flat, and really tasty bread from India that goes well with most Indian dishes, but can easily accompany any other food you desire.

Naan Bread

Makes about eight pieces


Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Make a "well" in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the eggs, yogurt, and milk. Stir it all until well blended.

Pick up the dough and place it on a smooth surface. Knead it for about ten minutes, until it's smooth and elastic.

Grease a large bowl with clarified butter. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it once to coat it in butter. Cover it with a damp towel and let it rest in a warm, draft free location for a little under an hour. While the dough is resting, pre-heat your broiler to one of its higher settings.

When the naan has rested sufficiently, divide it into eight pieces. Coat your hands with the clarified butter, then hand roll each of the pieces to, in turn, coat them with clarified butter. Pat the pieces into vaguely tear drop shapes, then pat or roll them until their about ¼ inch thick. Place the flattened pieces onto baking sheets. At this step, you may brush the bread pieces lightly with water and sprinkle on minced onions, poppy seeds, chives, or whatever other herbs you so desire.

Broil the naan bread about three inches below the heat source for about two or three minutes, until the topside is brown. Turn the bread over, brush with water and sprinkle on more herbs if you like, then brown the other side. Watch the bread carefully or it may burn! Serve it right out of the broiler or let it cool to room temperature.