Naan (also spelled `nan') is baked in the tandoor, an open clay oven. Basically, they stick the dough to the side of the oven to bake.

I particularly like cheese naan (the Indian restaurant here prepares it with a lot of cumin) and spinach naan (spiced with ginger... mmm). Naan is a much heavier bread than, say, chapati or paratha (not to mention poori). It's hard to eat too much of it, because you get full very quickly.

If you have leftover naan and it's gotten kind of hard, sprinkle it with water, wrap it in paper towels, and throw it in the microwave for about 30s. While not good as new, it will be once again acceptable.

Nan is an oily yeast bread (contrast with fatty breads )
It is made of:
flour
yeast
sugar
salt
yougurt
water
and Oil (sesame seed or sunflower)

First wake up the yeasts. Put them in a bit of warm water and add a teaspoon of sugar to get them going. let it sit for about 10 min (it should froth a bit) next add a table spoon of yougurt and stir.

Put a cup of flour in with a half teaspoon of salt in another bowl mix it up real good and add the yeasts and sugar to it until it’s a nice dough (not to sticky or dry)

Now put flower on your hands and knead the dough for about 8 minutes.Then put it under a cloth and wait for 1/2 an hour while the little yeasties work away.

While you wait heat up the grill. If you don’t have a grill you can use a big frying pan. Get it REAL hot.

Now cut the lump of dough in half and roll it flat into two nan breads. If you don’t have a rolling pin use a cup with no handle. Then prick it all over with a fork.

Now brush the bread with the oil. If you don’t have a brush just use a paper towel. Throw it, oily side down, on to the grill or pan.

Watch it rise& brush the other side with the oil lovingly.

Flip it.

when it is brown take it off& serve it hot.

Yay nan bread!
A slightly chewy, flat, and really tasty bread from India that goes well with most Indian dishes, but can easily accompany any other food you desire.

Naan Bread

Makes about eight pieces


Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Make a "well" in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the eggs, yogurt, and milk. Stir it all until well blended.

Pick up the dough and place it on a smooth surface. Knead it for about ten minutes, until it's smooth and elastic.

Grease a large bowl with clarified butter. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it once to coat it in butter. Cover it with a damp towel and let it rest in a warm, draft free location for a little under an hour. While the dough is resting, pre-heat your broiler to one of its higher settings.

When the naan has rested sufficiently, divide it into eight pieces. Coat your hands with the clarified butter, then hand roll each of the pieces to, in turn, coat them with clarified butter. Pat the pieces into vaguely tear drop shapes, then pat or roll them until their about ¼ inch thick. Place the flattened pieces onto baking sheets. At this step, you may brush the bread pieces lightly with water and sprinkle on minced onions, poppy seeds, chives, or whatever other herbs you so desire.

Broil the naan bread about three inches below the heat source for about two or three minutes, until the topside is brown. Turn the bread over, brush with water and sprinkle on more herbs if you like, then brown the other side. Watch the bread carefully or it may burn! Serve it right out of the broiler or let it cool to room temperature.
Naan Bread

Makes 3 naan

1. Sift the flour and salt together into a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix the yeast with the milk. Set aside for 15 minutes.

2. Add the yeast mixture, oil, yogurt and egg to the flour.

3. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rise, in a warm place for 45 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.

4. Preheat the oven to its highest setting for at least ten minutes to 450° or even higher. As you preheat, place 3 heavy baking sheets in the oven to heat. (If you only have 1, then just cook the naan one at a time, and put 1 heavy baking sheet in the oven while it preheats). The heat of the pans will help the naan cook correctly.

5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and punch down. Divide into 3 and shape into balls.

6. Roll out each ball of dough into a teardrop shape about 10 inches long and 5 inches wide, with a thickness of about 1/4-1/3 inches.

7. Place the naan on the hot baking pan(s) and bake for 3-4 minutes or until puffed up.

8. Brush with melted ghee or butter and serve warm.

Some Naan Variations:

Spicy Naan: Add 1 teaspoon of ground coriander and 1 teaspoon of ground cumin to the flour in step 1. For extra fiery naan, add 1/2-1 teaspoon hot chili powder.

Cardamom Naan: Lightly crush the seeds from 4-5 green cardamom pods and add to the flour in step 1.

Poppy Seed naan: Brush the rolled out naan with a little ghee or butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Press lightly to make sure that they stick.

Peppered Naan: Brush the rolled-out naan with a little ghee or butter and dust generously with coarsely ground black pepper.

Onion Naan: Add 1/2 cup finely chopped or coarsely grated onion to the dough in step 2. You may need to reduce the amount of egg if the onion is very moist (to prevent making the dough too soft and sticky).

Whole Wheat Naan: Substitute whole wheat bread flour for some or all of the white flour.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.