Turned out to be totally f%&cked-up day day today. Don't want to turn this into a GTKY node so, suffice to say - senior managers are a pack of cry babies, and their childish behavior in meetings makes me cringe. There - enough said.

After my harrowing experience I aluded to above, I left work at around 3 to go out to the cafe and chill out. I had stuff spinning around in my head that I decided wasn't worth pondering, so just switched off, and enjoyed a coffee.

Have you ever just sat back and observed? From time to time, in order to relax and forget the world, I put my mind in neutral and just watch. I try to see the world as others must see it. Things that are familiar and common to my life (because I own them, or see them every day, or mainly because I take them for granted) I see with new clarity. You imagine what these things must look like to others, and in them you can see their beauty, or minor flaws that you hadn't been aware of previously.

Take for example something as mundane as a glass of beer. Look closer (not too close or your nose will get wet). Look deep into the glass at the bubbles. What makes those bubbles keep appearing? Why is it that particular shade of gold or brown? Who made it? What are their lives like? Probably a bad example, but practice this, then turn this power on to other objects, then eventually on to people and observe them. Finally, when you are ready, turn it on yourself. Observe what you do, who you are. How happy are you?

I watched a movie on the telly last night. It was called something like "Tuesdays With Morrie" or words to that effect. One of the most thought provoking stories I've seen in a while. It is about an old man who is dying of some terrible disease, and he knows that he only has a short time to say goodbye to everyone. During this time he imparts his wisdom to a guy on birth, life, death, and living the bits in between. Some of the more pertinent thoughts I took from it were:

  • Tell everyone you love them
  • Forgive everyone immediately, every day
  • Ask yourself "Am I doing what I want to be doing?"
  • "Am I the person I want to be?"
  • "Am I who I want to be remembered as when I die?"
  • Basically treat each day as if it is your last, because if it is, there will be so many things left undone that you, or those you leave behind, will regret.
The movie reminded me a bit of that "song" called Sunscreen, where that guy babbles on with pearls of wisdom (originally written by some doctor).

I highly recommend you have a look at this movie, or read the book. It'll give you insights into your own life, and start you thinking as I have.