I haven't been overseas since about 1971, when I was a wee lad who saved up his paper route money and bought a ticket for a month in France. I didn't get off to a great start as TWA lost my primary suitcase so I ended up in Amiens without any underwear. But my Aunt Janice and Uncle Dennis took good care of me, along with my Aunt Anita, who was a grad student at the Sorbonne at the time. I discovered gothic architecture exploring the great cathedral in Amiens, regarded by many as the finest of the great Gothic Cathedrals. I saw where Jean d'arc was burned in Rouen, visted the train car at Compiegne where two armistaces were signed, neither very happy. And I waked the trenches of Vimy Ridge where Canadian soldiers won a rare victory during World War I.

But that was a long time ago. Things are finalized, and if the volcano permits in a couple weeks I'm headed back to the continent for ten glorious days. May 1 I'm headed for Luxembourg (via Brussels) where my cousin Kevin and his wife Sarah will play host for me. Luxembourg is pretty much in the center of everything, with the Nurburgring and the Ardennes right there. It's been a long time since I last saw something older then 1800, but I'm ready. Americans should see more of the world, and lose something of what I see as our rather parochial world view. And I'm so ready. It's been a long time, but soon i shall be where all the beer has real flavor. Or so I think.