Balance in mechanical terms describes the relative weight of moving components that operate in relationship with each other. According to Newton, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Consider a V-8 engine. At any one moment, there are eight pistons, and eight connecting rods moving together. The crankshaft is always designed so that at least two cylinders operate in opposition, in order to cancel vibrations within the engine. The moving mass of the opposing part, cancels the motion of its compliment, preserving Newtonian balance.

The closer in weight of all moving parts, the greater will be the vibration cancellation. The greater any mismatch in mass, the greater the vibration. The inertia of the heaviest part -- in the case of a flywheel, the heaviest section--- will pull the entire engine in the direction the heaviest part is moving.

It may be possible to balance an engine by taking all matching, moving parts and weighing them. Each part is machined until it weighs precisely the same as the lightest part. This reduces moving mass and vibration, making the engine more reliable at higher RPM. Engines that have been balanced can rev higher and make more power reliably.