How HTML Works

HTML is a set of tags that tell a Web browser how to display text. Tags mostly come in pairs of opening and closing tags, like <em> and </em>. Any text surrounded by a pair of tags is displayed the way the tags tell your browser to display it. E2's built-in HTML toolbar is designed to insert common tags for you at the press of a button. The basic tags and examples of their effects are shown below.



Words and Phrases

Put emphasis on stuff with <em>stuff</em> (the button is marked i on E2's built-in HTML toolbar because most browsers will display emphasised text in italics)

Make stuff strong with <strong>stuff</strong> (the button is marked b on E2's built-in HTML toolbar because most browsers will display strong text in bold)

Make stuff small with <small>stuff</small>

Make stuff big with <big>stuff</big>



Biggest heading

<h1>Biggest heading</h1>

Second-biggest heading

<h2>Second-biggest heading</h2>

Smaller heading

<h3>Smaller heading</h3>



Lists

  • makes
  • order
  • difference
  • no

<ul>
<li>makes</li>
<li>order</li>
<li>difference</li>
<li>no</li>
</ul>

  1. Order
  2. makes
  3. a
  4. difference.

<ol>
<li>Order</li>
<li>makes</li>
<li>a</li>
<li>difference.</li>
</ol>



Block Quote

"The distracting effect of overdependence on adjectives and alliteration is well-illustrated by the following excerpt.

She stood in another part of the club, surrounded by an ellipse of fawning and vying men two or three deep, an island of attraction in a chaotic sea of seekers. Each man, with drink in hand, was posing and displaying his imagined or proven point of attractiveness to women in competition for her attention and favor.

Blah, blah, blah."

<blockquote> She stood in another part of the club, surrounded by an ellipse of fawning and vying men two or three deep, an island of attraction in a chaotic sea of seekers. Each man, with drink in hand, was posing and displaying his imagined or proven point of attractiveness to women in competition for her attention and favor. </blockquote>

Note: Due to a change in HTML code, if you are putting multiple paragraphs in a block quote, you will need the blockquote tag around each paragraph.



Horizontal lines

<hr>



Paragraphs

Everything2 will automatically insert paragraph tags and line breaks as long as it doesn't find any in a writeup, but it may be useful to be aware of these tags all the same.

This is one paragraph

And this is another.

<p> This is one paragraph</p> <p> And this is another. </p>

One paragraph...
broken into three lines...
is still not a poem.

<p> One paragraph... <br> broken into three lines... <br> is still not a poem. </p>


Keep in mind that the actual appearance of your text depends on style settings and other factors, so the way others see it may differ from the way you see it. For more advanced HTML features, see N-Wing's extensive guide.