Anything can be a legitimate option. But, IMNSHO, it is never the only option. You can always:

1. Just continue living

Yes, this is an option. Whatever happened, most people who matter will have forgotten about it within a few months, and if they don't forget about it, do you really care to know them anyway?

2. Run to <insert favorite fugitive country here>

This is an especially good option if you are running from the law, but is by no means restricted to that. Sometimes, you just can't bear to hang out with your loser friends one more day. So, make a nice mystery out of it. Pack up your stuff in the middle of the night, or better yet, take only a small overnight bag, and hightail it over the border.

If you are not a fugitive, moving a few states over may be sufficient, but this does not make you immune to secret investigators or annoying phone calls from your mother.

3. Fake your own death (my favorite)

This takes a little more planning than just running away, but can be oh so much more rewarding. You just can't compare to the feeling of freedom you get when you realize that everyone who made you miserable or made your life unlivable now thinks you are dead. Going to your own funeral can be dangerous to your cover, but how can you skip a thing like that?