A network of lies constructed to make somebody seem like something they are not. Lives, huge sums of money, and even keeping the peace can depend on a skillfully constructed cover. Then again, so can institutions of corruption and engines of mass murder.

Whatever your purpose, you never want your cover to be blown. That's a bad thing. For you, anyway.

military jargon: (n.)

one's issued hat or beret. Doesn't include helmets. Mandatory when in uniform and outdoors, except on a flight line where it may be considered a FOD hazard. Salutes are generally only rendered between military members when each is wearing a cover.

"Private, why are you standing outside without a cover?"

In the game of cricket, the position of cover is located between point and mid-off, at around a 45 degree angle from the batter on the off side. Variations include:

  • silly cover - located dangerously close to the batter
  • short cover - located closer than usual to the batter
  • deep cover - located further than usual from the batter, perhaps on the boundary
  • cover point - located between cover and point
  • extra cover - located between cover and mid-off

Cover is tradionally filled by the best ground fielder in the team. It requires a fast mobile player who is capable of covering a wide area, and has a good throwing arm.

Cover is sometimes referred to as "the covers".

Cov"er (k?v"?r), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Covered (-?rd); p. pr. & vb. n. Covering.] [OF. covrir, F. couvrir, fr. L. cooperire; co- + operire to cover; probably fr. ob towards, over + the root appearing in aperire to open. Cf. Aperient, Overt, Curfew.]

1.

To overspread the surface of (one thing) with another; as, to cover wood with paint or lacquer; to cover a table with a cloth.

2.

To envelop; to clothe, as with a mantle or cloak.

And with the majesty of darkness round Covers his throune. Milton.

All that beauty than doth cover thee. Shak.

3.

To invest (one's self with something); to bring upon (one's self); as, he covered himself with glory.

The powers that covered themselves with everlasting infamy by the partition of Poland. Brougham.

4.

To hide sight; to conceal; to cloak; as, the snemy were covered from our sight by the woods.

A cloud covered the mount. Exod. xxiv. 15.

In vain shou striv'st to cover shame with shame. Milton.

5.

To brood or sit on; to incubate.

While the hen is covering her eggs, the male . . . diverts her with his songs. Addison.

6. To overwhelm; to spread over.

The waters returned and covered the chariots and the horsemen. Ex. xiv. 28.

7.

To shelter, as from evil or danger; to protect; to defend; as, the cavalry covered the retreat.

His calm and blameless life Does with substantial blessedness abound, And the soft wings of peace cover him round. Cowley.

8.

To remove from remembrance; to put away; to remit.

"Blessed is he whose is covered."

Ps. xxxii. 1.

9.

To extend over; to be sufficient for; to comprehend, include, or embrace; to account for or solve; to counterbalance; as, a mortgage which fully covers a sum loaned on it; a law which covers all possible cases of a crime; receipts than do not cover expenses.

10.

To put the usual covering or headdress on.

Cover thy head . . . ; nay, prithee, be covered. Shak.

11.

To copulate with (a female); to serve; as. a horse covers a mare; -- said of the male.

To cover grounddistance, to pass over; as, the rider covered the ground in an hour. -- To cover one's short contracts Stock Exchange, to buy stock when the market rises, as a dealer who has sold short does in order to protect himself. -- Covering party Mil., a detachment of troops sent for the protection of another detachment, as of men working in the trenches. -- To cover into, to transfer to; as, to cover into the treasury.

Syn. -- To shelter; screen; shield; hide; overspread.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cov"er (k?v"?r), n.

1.

Anything which is laid, set, or spread, upon, about, or over, another thing; an envelope; a lid; as, the cover of a book.

2.

Anything which weils or conceals; a screen; disguise; a cloack.

"Under cover of the night."

Macualay.

A hendsome cover for imperfections. Collier.

3.

Shelter; protection; as, the troops fought under cover of the batteries; the woods afforded a good cover.

Being compelled to lodge in the field . . . whilst his army was under cover, they might be forced to retire. Clarendon.

4. Huntig

The woods, underbrush, etc., which shelter and conceal game; covert; as, to beat a cover; to ride to cover.

5. That portion of a slate, tile, or shingle, which is hidden by the overlap of the course above.

Knight.

6. Steam Engine

The lap of a slide valve.

7. [Cf. F. couvert.]

A tablecloth, and the other table furniture; esp., the table furniture for the use of one person at a meal; as, covers were laid for fifty guests.

To break cover, to start from a covert or lair; -- said of game. -- Under cover, in an envelope, or within a letter; -- said of a written message.

Letters . . . dispatched under cover to her ladyship. Thackeray.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cov"er, v. i.

To spread a table for a meal; to prepare a banquet.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.