The bee on my hip's named Innisfree,
After three months how could you miss that part of me,
I'm shocked you never looked down and saw that,
What else have you overlooked besides my tat?
You say in the dark we all look pink,
Tonight,
Turn on the light,
I'm keeping my skin to myself I think.

Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia
by Marya Hornbacher
HarperCollins Publishers, 1997

"Why would a talented young girl go through the looking glass and step into a netherworld where up is down and food is greed, where death is honor and flesh is weak?"

This is a book describing the life of Marya Hornbacher, a woman who survived the extremes of both bulimia and anorexia. I first read it when I was in treatment, and it was not helpful in my quest to recover whatsoever. However, now that I am healthy, it is one of my favorite books that I read every year or two.

This book makes little sense to those who have not stood in Hornbacher's shoes at some point in time, but for those who have, it is an eerie biography of their own lives told by a stranger.

I recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning about eating disorders and the lifelong effects they leave on the victim's mind and body. Throughout the biographical sense of the book, there are several quotes and references to research and other sources witch validate Hornbacher's own ideas. You may be disgusted and horrified, but this can save lives, in the end.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.