display | more...

Buff"er (?), n. [Prop a striker. See Buffet a blow.]

1. Mech. (a)

An elastic apparatus or fender, for deadening the jar caused by the collision of bodies; as, a buffer at the end of a railroad car.


A pad or cushion forming the end of a fender, which recieves the blow; -- sometimes called buffing apparatus.


One who polishes with a buff.


A wheel for buffing; a buff.


A good-humored, slow-witted fellow; -- usually said of an elderly man.




© Webster 1913.