De*scent" (?), n. [F. descente, fr. descendre; like vente, from vendre. See Descend.]

1.

The act of descending, or passing downward; change of place from higher to lower.

2.

Incursion; sudden attack; especially, hostile invasion from sea; -- often followed by upon or on; as, to make a descent upon the enemy.

The United Provinces . . . ordered public prayer to God, when they feared that the French and English fleets would make a descent upon their coasts. Jortin.

3.

Progress downward, as in station, virtue, as in station, virtue, and the like, from a higher to a lower state, from a higher to a lower state, from the more to the less important, from the better to the worse, etc.

2.

Derivation, as from an ancestor; procedure by generation; lineage; birth; extraction.

Dryden.

5. Law

Transmission of an estate by inheritance, usually, but not necessarily, in the descending line; title to inherit an estate by reason of consanguinity.

Abbott.

6.

Inclination downward; a descending way; inclined or sloping surface; declivity; slope; as, a steep descent.

7.

That which is descended; descendants; issue.

If care of our descent perplex us most, Which must be born to certain woe. Milton.

8.

A step or remove downward in any scale of gradation; a degree in the scale of genealogy; a generation.

No man living is a thousand descents removed from Adam himself. Hooker.

9.

Lowest place; extreme downward place.

[R.]

And from the extremest upward of thy head, To the descent and dust below thy foot. Shak.

10. Mus.

A passing from a higher to a lower tone.

Syn. -- Declivity; slope; degradation; extraction; lineage; assault; invasion; attack.

 

© Webster 1913.