Grap"ple (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Grappled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Grappling (?).] [F. grappiller, OF. graypil the grapple of a ship, fr. graper to pluck, prop., to seize, clutch; of German origin. See Grape.]

1.

To seize; to lay fast hold of; to attack at close quarters: as, to grapple an antagonist.

2.

To fasten, as with a grapple; to fix; to join indissolubly.

The gallies were grappled to the Centurion. Hakluyt.

Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grap"ple, v. i.

To use a grapple; to contend in close fight; to attach one's self as if by a grapple, as in wrestling; to close; to seize one another.

To grapple with, to enter into contest with, resolutely and courageously.

And in my standard bear the arms of York, To grapple with the house of Lancaster. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grap"ple, n. [See Grapple, v. t., and cf. Crapple.]

1.

A seizing or seizure; close hug in contest; the wrestler's hold.

Milton.

2. (a)

An instrument, usually with hinged claws, for seizing and holding fast to an object; a grab.

(b) Naut.

A grappling iron.

The iron hooks and grapples keen. Spenser.

Grapple plant Bot., a South African herb (Herpagophytum leptocarpum) having the woody fruits armed with long hooked or barbed thorns by which they adhere to cattle, causing intense annoyance. -- Grapple shot Life-saving Service, a projectile, to which are attached hinged claws to catch in a ship's rigging or to hold in the ground; -- called also anchor shot.

 

© Webster 1913.