Hap"pi*ness, n. [From Happy.]

1.

Good luck; good fortune; prosperity.

All happiness bechance to thee in Milan! Shak.

2.

An agreeable feeling or condition of the soul arising from good fortune or propitious happening of any kind; the possession of those circumstances or that state of being which is attended enjoyment; the state of being happy; contentment; joyful satisfaction; felicity; blessedness.

3.

Fortuitous elegance; unstudied grace; -- used especially of language.

Some beauties yet no precepts can declare, For there's a happiness, as well as care. Pope.

Syn. -- Happiness, Felicity, Blessedness, Bliss. Happiness is generic, and is applied to almost every kind of enjoyment except that of the animal appetites; felicity is a more formal word, and is used more sparingly in the same general sense, but with elevated associations; blessedness is applied to the most refined enjoyment arising from the purest social, benevolent, and religious affections; bliss denotes still more exalted delight, and is applied more appropriately to the joy anticipated in heaven.

O happiness! our being's end and aim! Pope.

Others in virtue place felicity, But virtue joined with riches and long life; In corporal pleasures he, and careless ease. Milton.

His overthrow heaped happiness upon him; For then, and not till then, he felt himself, And found the blessedness of being little. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.