Pal"let (?), n. [OE. paillet, F. paillet a heap of straw, fr. paille straw, fr. L. palea chaff; cf. Gr. &?; fine meal, dust, Skr. pala straw, palAva chaff. Cf. Paillasse.]

A small and mean bed; a bed of straw. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913


Pal"let, n. [Dim. of pale. See Pale a stake.] (Her.)

A perpendicular band upon an escutcheon, one half the breadth of the pale.

 

© Webster 1913


Pal"let, n. [F. palette: af. It. paletta; prop. and orig., a fire shovel, dim. of L. pala a shovel, spade. See Peel a shovel.]

1. (Paint.)

Same as Palette.

2. (Pottery)

(a)

A wooden implement used by potters, crucible makers, etc., for forming, beating, and rounding their works. It is oval, round, and of other forms.

(b)

A potter's wheel.

3. (Gilding)

(a)

An instrument used to take up gold leaf from the pillow, and to apply it.

(b)

A tool for gilding the backs of books over the bands.

4. (Brickmaking)

A board on which a newly molded brick is conveyed to the hack. Knight.

5. (Mach.)

(a)

A click or pawl for driving a ratchet wheel.

(b)

One of the series of disks or pistons in the chain pump. Knight.

6. (Horology)

One of the pieces or levers connected with the pendulum of a clock, or the balance of a watch, which receive the immediate impulse of the scape-wheel, or balance wheel. Brande & C.

7. (Mus.)

In the organ, a valve between the wind chest and the mouth of a pipe or row of pipes.

8. (Zoöl.)

One of a pair of shelly plates that protect the siphon tubes of certain bivalves, as the Teredo. See Illust. of Teredo.

9.

A cup containing three ounces, -- &?;ormerly used by surgeons.

 

© Webster 1913