Ran"dom (?), n. [OE. randon, OF. randon force, violence, rapidity, a randon, de randon, violently, suddenly, rapidly, prob. of German origin; cf. G. rand edge, border, OHG. rant shield, edge of a shield, akin to E. rand, n. See Rand, n.]

1.

Force; violence.

[Obs.]

For courageously the two kings newly fought with great random and force. E. Hall.

2.

A roving motion; course without definite direction; want of direction, rule, or method; hazard; chance; -- commonly used in the phrase at random, that is, without a settled point of direction; at hazard.

Counsels, when they fly At random, sometimes hit most happily. Herrick.

O, many a shaft, at random sent, Finds mark the archer little meant ! Sir W. Scott.

3.

Distance to which a missile is cast; range; reach; as, the random of a rifle ball.

Sir K. Digby.

4. Mining

The direction of a rake-vein.

Raymond.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ran"dom, a.

Going at random or by chance; done or made at hazard, or without settled direction, aim, or purpose; hazarded without previous calculation; left to chance; haphazard; as, a random guess.

Some random truths he can impart. Wordsworth.

So sharp a spur to the lazy, and so strong a bridle to the random. H. Spencer.

Random courses Masonry, courses of unequal thickness. -- Random shot, a shot not directed or aimed toward any particular object, or a shot with the muzzle of the gun much elevated. -- Random work Masonry, stonework consisting of stones of unequal sizes fitted together, but not in courses nor always with flat beds.

 

© Webster 1913.