Red (r?d), obs.

. imp. & p. p. of Read.

Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.


Red, v. t.

To put on order; to make tidy; also, to free from entanglement or embarrassement; -- generally with up; as, to red up a house.

[Prov. Eng. & Scot.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Red, a. [Compar. Redder (-d?r); superl. Reddest.] [OE. red, reed, AS. red, red; akin to OS. rd, OFries, rd, D. rood, G. roht, rot, OHG. rt, Dan. & Sw. rd, Icel. raur, rjr, Goth. ruds, W. rhudd, Armor. ruz, Ir. & Gael. ruadh, L. ruber, rufus, Gr. , Skr. rudhira, rohita; cf. L. rutilus. &root;113. Cr. Erysipelas, Rouge, Rubric, Ruby, Ruddy, Russet, Rust.]

Of the color of blood, or of a tint resembling that color; of the hue of that part of the rainbow, or of the solar spectrum, which is furthest from the violet part.

"Fresh flowers, white and reede."

Chaucer.

Your color, I warrant you, is as red as any rose. Shak.

Red is a general term, including many different shades or hues, as scarlet, crimson, vermilion, orange red, and the like.

Red is often used in the formation of self-explaining compounds; as, red-breasted, red-cheeked, red-faced, red-haired, red-headed, red-skinned, red-tailed, red-topped, red-whiskered, red-coasted.

 

© Webster 1913.


Red (r?d), n.

1.

The color of blood, or of that part of the spectrum farthest from violet, or a tint resembling these.

"Celestial rosy red, love's proper hue."

Milton.

2.

A red pigment.

3. European Politics

An abbreviation for Red Republican. See under Red, a.

[Cant]

4. pl. Med.

The menses.

Dunglison.

<-- 5. Informal name for a Communist. -->

English red, a pigment prepared by the Dutch, similar to Indian red. -- Hypericum red, a red resinous dyestuff extracted from Hypericum. -- Indian red. See under Indian, and Almagra.

 

© Webster 1913.