Vir"gin (?), n. [L. virgo, -inis: cf. OF. virgine, virgene, virge, vierge, F. vierge.]

1.

A woman who has had no carnal knowledge of man; a maid.

2.

A person of the male sex who has not known sexual indulgence.

[Archaic]

Wyclif.

These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. Rev. xiv. 4.

He his flesh hath overcome; He was a virgin, as he said. Gower.

3. Astron.

See Virgo.

4. Zool.

Any one of several species of gossamer-winged butterflies of the family Lycaenidae.

5. Zool.

A female insect producing eggs from which young are hatched, though there has been no fecundation by a male; a parthenogenetic insect.

The Virgin, ∨ The Blessed Virgin, the Virgin Mary, the Mother of our Lord. -- Virgin's bower Bot., a name given to several climbing plants of the genus Clematis, as C. Vitalba of Europe, and C. Virginiana of North America.

 

© Webster 1913.


Vir"gin (?), a.

1.

Being a virgin; chaste; of or pertaining to a virgin; becoming a virgin; maidenly; modest; indicating modesty; as, a virgin blush.

"Virgin shame."

Cowley.

Innocence and virgin modesty . . . That would be wooed, and unsought be won. Milton.

2.

Pure; undefiled; unmixed; fresh; new; as, virgin soil; virgin gold.

"Virgin Dutch."

G. W. Cable.

The white cold virgin snow upon my heart. Shak.

A few ounces of mutton, with a little virgin oil. Landor.

3.

Not yet pregnant; impregnant.

Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Vir"gin, v. i.

To act the virgin; to be or keep chaste; -- followed by it. See It, 5.

[Obs.] "My true lip hath virgined it e'er since [that kiss]."

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.