De*clare" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Declared (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Declaring.] [F. d'eclarer, from L. declarare; de + clarare to make clear, clarus, clear, bright. See Clear.]

1.

To make clear; to free from obscurity.

[Obs.] "To declare this a little."

Boyle.

2.

To make known by language; to communicate or manifest explicitly and plainly in any way; to exhibit; to publish; to proclaim; to announce.

This day I have begot whom I declare My only Son. Milton.

The heavens declare the glory of God. Ps. xix. 1.

3.

To make declaration of; to assert; to affirm; to set forth; to avow; as, he declares the story to be false.

I the Lord . . . declare things that are right. Isa. xlv. 19.

4. Com.

To make full statement of, as goods, etc., for the purpose of paying taxes, duties, etc.

To declare off, to recede from an agreement, undertaking, contract, etc.; to renounce. -- To declare one's self, to avow one's opinion; to show openly what one thinks, or which side he espouses.

 

© Webster 1913.


De*clare", v. i.

1.

To make a declaration, or an open and explicit avowal; to proclaim one's self; -- often with for or against; as, victory declares against the allies.

Like fawning courtiers, for success they wait, And then come smiling, and declare for fate. Dryden.

2. Law

To state the plaintiff's cause of action at law in a legal form; as, the plaintiff declares in trespass.

 

© Webster 1913.