Mint (?), n. [AS. minte, fr. L. mentha, Gr. , .] Bot.

The name of several aromatic labiate plants, mostly of the genus Mentha, yielding odoriferous essential oils by distillation. See Mentha.

<-- each of the following types can also be labeled as subtypes --> ⇒ Corn mint is Mentha arvensis. -- Horsemint is M. sylvestris, and in the United States Monarda punctata, which differs from the true mints in several respects. -- Mountain mint is any species of the related genus Pycnanthemum, common in North America. -- Peppermint is M. piperita. -- Spearmint is M. viridis. -- Water mint is M. aquatica.

Mint camphor. Chem. See Menthol. -- Mint julep. See Julep. -- Mint sauce, a sauce flavored with spearmint, for meats.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mint, n. [AS. mynet money, coin, fr. L. moneta the mint, coined money, fr. Moneta, a surname of Juno, in whose at Rome money was coined; akin to monere to warn, admonish, AS. manian, and to E. mind. See Mind, and cf. Money, Monition.]

1.

A place where money is coined by public authority.

2.

Hence: Any place regarded as a source of unlimited supply; the supply itself.

A mint of phrases in his brain. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mint, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Minted; p. pr. & vb. n. Minting.] [AS. mynetian.]

1.

To make by stamping, as money; to coin; to make and stamp into money.

2.

To invent; to forge; to fabricate; to fashion.

Titles... of such natures as may be easily minted. Bacon.

Minting mill, a coining press.

 

© Webster 1913.