Oc*ca"sion (?), n. [F. occasion, L. occasio, fr.occidere, occasum, to fall down; ob (see Ob-) + cadere to fall. See Chance, and cf. Occident.]

1.

A falling out, happening, or coming to pass; hence, that which falls out or happens; occurrence; incident.

The unlooked-for incidents of family history, and its hidden excitements, and its arduous occasions. I. Taylor.

2.

A favorable opportunity; a convenient or timely chance; convenience.

Sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me. Rom. vii. 11.

I'll take the occasion which he gives to bring Him to his death. Waller.

3.

An occurrence or condition of affairs which brings with it some unlooked-for event; that which incidentally brings to pass an event, without being its efficient cause or sufficient reason; accidental or incidental cause.

Her beauty was the occasion of the war. Dryden.

4.

Need; exigency; requirement; necessity; as, I have no occasion for firearms.

After we have served ourselves and our own occasions. Jer. Taylor.

When my occasions took me into France. Burke.

5.

A reason or excuse; a motive; a persuasion.

Whose manner was, all passengers to stay, And entertain with her occasions sly. Spenser.

On occasion, in case of need; in necessity; as convenience requires; occasionally. "That we might have intelligence from him on occasion,"

De Foe.

Syn. -- Need; incident; use. See Opportunity.

 

© Webster 1913.


Oc*ca"sion (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Occasioned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Occasioning.] [Cf.F. occasionner.]

To give occasion to; to cause; to produce; to induce; as, to occasion anxiety.

South.

If we inquire what it is that occasions men to make several combinations of simple ideas into distinct modes. Locke.

 

© Webster 1913.