Rep"ro*bate (-b?t), a. [L. reprobatus, p. p. of reprobare to disapprove, condemn. See Reprieve, Reprove.]

1.

Not enduring proof or trial; not of standard purity or fineness; disallowed; rejected.

[Obs.]

Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the Lord hath rejected them. Jer. vi. 30.

2.

Abandoned to punishment; hence, morally abandoned and lost; given up to vice; depraved.

And strength, and art, are easily outdone By spirits reprobate. Milton.

3.

Of or pertaining to one who is given up to wickedness; as, reprobate conduct.

"Reprobate desire."

Shak.

Syn. -- Abandoned; vitiated; depraved; corrupt; wicked; profligate; base; vile. See Abandoned.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rep"ro*bate, n.

One morally abandoned and lost.

I acknowledge myself for a reprobate, a villain, a traitor to the king. Sir W. Raleigh.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rep"ro*bate (-b?t), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Reprobated (-b?`t?d); p. pr. & vb. n. Reprobating.]

1.

To disapprove with detestation or marks of extreme dislike; to condemn as unworthy; to disallow; to reject.

Such an answer as this is reprobated and disallowed of in law; I do not believe it, unless the deed appears. Ayliffe.

Every scheme, every person, recommended by one of them, was reprobated by the other. Macaulay.

2.

To abandon to punishment without hope of pardon.

Syn. -- To condemn; reprehend; censure; disown; abandon; reject.

 

© Webster 1913.