Stool (?), n. [L. stolo. See Stolon.] Hort.

A plant from which layers are propagated by bending its branches into the soil.

P. Henderson.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stool, v. i. Agric.

To ramfy; to tiller, as grain; to shoot out suckers.

R. D. Blackmore.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stool (?), n. [AS. stol a seat; akin to OFries. & OS. stol, D. stoel, G. stuhl, OHG. stuol, Icel. stoll, Sw. & Dan. stol, Goth. stols, Lith. stalas a table, Russ. stol'; from the root of E. stand. 163. See Stand, and cf. Fauteuil.]

1.

A single seat with three or four legs and without a back, made in various forms for various uses.

2.

A seat used in evacuating the bowels; hence, an evacuation; a discharge from the bowels.

3.

A stool pigeon, or decoy bird.

[U. S.]

4. Naut.

A small channel on the side of a vessel, for the dead-eyes of the backstays.

Totten.

5.

A bishop's seat or see; a bishop-stool.

J. P. Peters.

6.

A bench or form for resting the feet or the knees; a footstool; as, a kneeling stool.

7.

Material, such as oyster shells, spread on the sea bottom for oyster spat to adhere to.

[Local, U.S.]

Stool of a window, or Window stool Arch., the flat piece upon which the window shuts down, and which corresponds to the sill of a door; in the United States, the narrow shelf fitted on the inside against the actual sill upon which the sash descends. This is called a window seat when broad and low enough to be used as a seat. Stool of repentance, the cuttystool. [Scot.] -- Stool pigeon, a pigeon used as a decoy to draw others within a net; hence, a person used as a decoy for others.

 

© Webster 1913.