So those of you who've heard the podcast have heard my quite effeminate voice. It's been an interesting thing to have.

One thing that it's led to is me being VERY often mistaken for my ex-spouse, or a female (my name is one of those that could go with either gender) which has led to some rather interesting personal interludes.

Once I was attempting to buy some computers for my workplace, and we needed some scanning as part of it. These were not for art purposes but had to have colour correction as part of the legality of what we were building. So I asked the rather tired-sounding lad at the other end of the phone about colour correction, to which he said "you can have it in any colour you like, sweetheart."

I got his name, and permission from my boss to make some kind of comment.

I put on my studded-and-patched leathers (size 58, I was 255lb at the time, it was during the scary 425lb bench press days), the half-helmet, and sunglasses. Kicked out the kicker arm and fired up the ape-hangered FXE. Roared into the parking lot like something out of a Meat Loaf video. Dismounted, walked in, found the scrawny little spiky haired get who'd made that comment and told him I'll have it in whatever colour it comes in, if that's okay by him. (I left out a few choice words, but that was the gist of my statement.)

My ear-nose-throat guy says I'm blessed, but I don't particularly think so. He says if he'd seen my throat at autopsy minus the body it was on, he would swear in a court of law I was female. But, hey, Roy Orbison was the same way and look how he turned out.

I am NOT Roy Orbison.

I am a guy who's said the same thing to girlfriends and spouse as the next or last guy has said, but because he said it in a deep booming voice their response was usually a giggle, not a fight. It's like height, one of those unfair things we get judged on.

Phonosurgery costs at least $5,000 and bears the chance I'd never be able to speak again. But I might get some respect when I say things on the phone or in person.

I don't talk very much in person, unless you know me and am friends with me, or unless I'm heinously drunk.

Maybe some day I can afford for that to change.