"exile n. 1. Enforced removal from one's native country. 2. The state or circumstance of being in Exile." Above ground, there is only one nation: The Empire. That's all it's called. What need is there for fancy name when there's really only one game in town? The Empire maintains order at all costs. Misfits, magical creatures, and petty criminal of all sorts are unwanted, and the Empire has one tried and true way of disposing of them... They are sent through a one-way teleporter into the Underworld. And, alas, you have had the bad luck to be considered misfits.

Thus begins Spiderweb Software's enormous role-playing epic Exile: Escape from the Pit. Exile is a huge RPG (role-playing game) similar to the early Ultima games in appearance, but with mouse control of inventory and spell targeting.

Exile has spawned three sequels. In Exile II: Crystal Souls, the Empire make an invasion of the caves and the Exiles must seek a long-dormant, powerful race known as the Vahnatai to aid them. In Exile III: Ruined World, the community of Exiles finally reach the surface in an attempt to claim a section of land for themselves. Finally, Blades Of Exile is a scenario-based engine for Exile games and has quite a heavy following of scenarios (including the author's 'New Life'), although quality does tend to vary quite heavily.

See also:

http://www.spidweb.com
Blades of exile community
Exile: Escape from the pit
Jeff Vogel