Tenchu, correctly titled Tenchu: Stealth Assassins, is, if the name doesn't tip it off, a Ninja simulation game. Of course what this means is that you, male ninja, or female ninja, must go through a number of levels and complete them, without being seen as much as possible, and also with as much skill as possible, and complete your goals. This leads into levels which go from semi-difficult to extremely difficult, yet it is in a way which I enjoy quite a bit. Mainly because this game require quick wits, but not quick thumbs, meaning there are no real platform sections, or difficult brain scratchers, where you wander around unsure of what to do. You always know what to do, and almost always where to go, it's just how to do it and how to get there that actually is difficult. To any fan of ninjas (like myself, and particularly the me that originally wrote this w/u so long ago), this is a lot of fun, where else do you get to be a ninja in such a realistic interesting fashion.

No don't expect great graphics, this is a Playstation game, but do expect gameplay which actually does challenge and intrest. Unlike the disapointing Tenchu 2, this game feels like a real world, with real things to do and a real objective. The last thing it feels like is a phoney pretend game, this feels like you're really a ninja, and really sneaking around killing people. Often the sneaking around doesn't work, and you must run out and kill people, but that's just a danger of the trade. Most of the time you should be sneaking behind people, and slicing their throats, spilling blood all over the ground, in a very realistic fashion.

Definately one of the highlights of the Playstation years, this game can easily give any piece of crap being made today a run for their money. Highly suggested for sure.

Original crappy write-up of mine
Ninja simulater. In my mind better than Metal Gear Solid. In Tenchu you have to sneak around and take silent kills, while trying to be quiet. It is better to take to the roof tops than walk around like a fool. In the levels you have to find things, or assasinate people. At the end of the levels the game rates you. The highest honor is Grand Master ninja. A hard thing to get. I've only got it on the first level. Highley suggested. Don't get the sequel, it sucks. The original is great though.