Video games include computer games, console games, and arcade games. A video game involves one or more human players competing alone or with one or more computer-controlled players and/or human players. Human players receive feedback via visual cues. Traditionally, this is via a nearly-flat, phosphorescent screen. Human players typically interact with the game via physical input devices such as a joystick, keyboard, and/or mouse.

VIDEO GAMES are one of the most rewarding and fascinating forms of entertainment yet devised. Today, they attract players of all ages and backgrounds (although they remain more popular among younger people who grew up exposed to their influence), and exist in many forms to suit different tastes.

We use the term 'video games' to refer to electronic games played on computers, consoles, handheld devices and amusement machines, as well as any other devices that emerge as viable platforms, such as mobile phones.

Technology and creativity continue to drive gaming ever onward, while presenting developers with new challenges. Players can be given more freedom, and more ways to compete or cooperate. Graphics and animation become more expressive (not necessarily meaning more photorealistic). Simulation becomes more refined. Games can more effectively tell a story, or allow players to create their own.

Whether you are an avid gamer or simply would like to learn more about this (sometimes confusing) subject, you've come to the right place.

This node is the top level of the videogames user group's ever-expanding index of game-related writeups on Everything2. You can use the links below to browse for game titles, as well as information in several other categories relating to different aspects of video games: their creators, key concepts and historical notes.

Of course, there are still many games and topics that have yet to be noded. You can assist the videogames group in their mission by informing us of new writeups that we should include, or ones you'd like to see, by sending a /msg to the group's shared account, Insert Coin. Please check first that the writeup in question isn't already listed in the appropriate index. And don't forget to mention whether you're talking about a game, character, platform, magazine, or whatever. For example:

/msg insert_coin Please file my writeup about the game Pogo The Monkey

If you want to write a node about a game, please take a moment to read E2 FAQ: video games. This handy document will help you to avoid common pitfalls and help to maximise the usefulness of your writeup.


Index of Games

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
characters - genres - magazines - platforms - people - emulators


Below are some hints on titling your node and what to include. Most of this is covered in the FAQ, but there may be some new issues covered below that aren't 'official' policy yet.

Game Titles

Again, please consult E2 FAQ: Video Games first.

When creating a node for a video game not yet covered by E2, try to make sure that you are using the official title. You should check the following:

Spelling: refer to the packaging, title screen and/or official website if available.

Number format: If the creators use roman numerals, so should you. In some cases the name is written with a different number format by convention (e.g. Street Fighter 2). But rarely.

The word 'The': If a title begins with 'The', it should be noded as such (e.g. The Chaos Engine). However, 'The' is ignored for alphabetization.

Subtitles: In 99% of cases the subtitle can be omitted from the node title. Only when the subtitle is integral to the title (for example, in cases where the main title is the name of a franchise, such as Spider-Man, or where the subtitle differentiates between installments in a series) should it be included. If in doubt, omit.

Star Wars™: The Star Wars games represent a potential minefield for naming convention pedants. Many of the older games, such as X-Wing, Rogue Squadron and Rebel Assault are 'officially' prefixed 'Star Wars:' but no one ever uses this prefix. Some of the later games do include the prefix however (such as Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds).,

Multiple Titles

There are several cases where the same game may be known by more than one name.

Nicknames: You should not node a game under its nickname. However, very pervasive nicknames and abbreviations can be included in the index and cross-referenced to the official title on request. (e.g. Sensi, Zelda 64, Q3A.)

International variations: For copyright and/or marketing reasons, games are occasionally retitled for sale in different markets (e.g. Biohazard / Resident Evil). Both (or all) names should be included in the index. Any official title is equally valid for noding a game under. Alternative titles (if known) can be included in the game's writeup if you wish.

Translations/romanisations: Some games do not have an official 'Western' name. In these cases, try to follow the creator's nomenclature as closely as you can. Sometimes a bit of judgement is required.

And, please, for the love of God, be wary of duplication.

Scope

The following are currently not covered by any of Insert Coin's indices:

The following may be covered by the index, in some cases:

If you are affiliated with a game's publisher or developer, you are free to write about their games. We appreciate inside perspectives, but we do not encourage you to break applicable non-disclosure agreements. If you wish to editorialize, please note your biases, and give your view and not the company marketing line.


You can find more information on Insert Coin's homenode.
The videogames usergroup page shows recent notable games writeups and lists the members of the group, who are open to feedback, questions and suggestions.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.