As always, work was uneventful today. 12 hours of that kind of boredom can drive a man insane, luckily, I already am. This is generally a day in the life of a soldier deployed to Afghanistan... hours of waiting, sitting, finishing up work, going to bed, and waking up to do it again. It's a very structured kind of bored, I think.

After my 12 hours on I went back to my dwelling for my 12 hours off, and my roommate gave me a great idea, maybe I should move my bunk down to the bottom level, it's current user probably isn't coming back from leave. After about 15 minutes of shifting the beds around, I had a comfortable floor-level bed, I was happy.

While still in the spirit of room improvement I'd climbed up onto the bed and examined the light fixtures, neither of which on my side were working. I decided that I was tired of living in the dark half of the room, so I clambered up onto the top bunk and, with the aid of my roomie I reset the lights, and it was good.

I decided slightly later that night to skype my girlfriend and talk to her for a while when something horrible happened, my internet shat out, resulting in a confused and disgruntled me. Being disgruntled as I was, I picked up my pipe, packed it full of tobacco, lit it up, and vented my frustration in the form of shifting, swirling smoke puffs.

After my pipe had burnt out I decided "eh, today's over", so I stripped down, took a shower, and went to bed