Today is the neighborhood block party, and it's a perfect sunny day for it. We get to meet a bunch of our neighbors and eat lots of food and be sociable and so on. Our townhouse number ends in "1", so we were instructed to bring "an appetizer." In the spirit of being helpful, we also volunteered to bring a table. (It's the big clunky heavy industrial-strength kitchen table that we bought for $10 and would really like to get rid of.)

We were going to just get a big platter of cheese from Gigantor Food Mart, but looking through the catalog we figured we could probably save a little money if we just bought all the stuff and made it ourselves. How difficult is it to make cheese cubes, right?

So we copied the ingredients in the platter, and bought:

  • 12 oz. Havarti Cheese
  • 8 oz. Monterey Jack with Jalapeno Pepper
  • 7 oz. Baby Edam
  • 12 oz. Swiss Cheese
  • 12 oz. New York Sharp Cheddar
  • 14 oz. Muenster Cheese
  • 10 oz. Cheese Ball
  • This afternoon I spent an hour or so cutting the cheese (wait'll folks at work ask what I did this weekend...) and arranging it on the platter that we bought at the dollar store. We only ended up saving like $5 when all was said and done.

    Anyway... the cheese ball scares me. It's allegedly cheddar, but it's all encrusted with almonds and stuff. I think you're supposed to spread it on crackers or something. Either way, I fear the accursed cheese ball.

    I suspect if everyone and their dog Flippy is bringing something to eat, there's going to be a lot of food leftover. So we'll probably end up bringing home lots of extra cheese to nosh on while watching videos or playing Arcanum. Yummy.


    Epilogue: There were no leftovers when I went to retrieve my platter. Which means either everyone ate all that cheese or (more likely) they just dumped the leftover food at cleanup. Regardless, I need not fear the Accursed Cheese Ball any longer.