If you are in BC (as I am) and are in a car accident (as I just was) and there are no emergency vehicles attending (police or ambulance), there are some important things to do:

  1. Get witnesses. The woman walking her dog or an uninvolved driver who saw the accident and stopped to make sure everyone was ok: get their names and phone numbers. This is very important in case of conflicting information later on.
  2. Get the license plates of the cars involved and the driver’s licence number of the drivers involved. Note the make and colour of the cars involved, and if there were any passengers in any of the cars. Ask for the driver’s names, phone numbers and addresses.
  3. Write down when the accident occurred, where it occurred (cross streets), what the weather was like, how many lanes of traffic, and so on.
  4. Draw a picture of what happened while it is still fresh in your mind. It’s amazing how quickly things get forgotten.
  5. Don’t get involved in an altercation. Don’t get mad, it’s just a car and you’re all right.
  6. After you leave the scene (armed with all this information), find a phone and call into ICBC (or your insurance) and make your claim. Don’t assign emotional blame. If someone hit you from behind, explain that, but don’t start insulting the other driver to the claims operator.
  7. If you are injured, or even think you might be, go see a doctor. Tell them what happened and be straight. Soft tissue damage is very bad, especially in the lower back region.
  8. Don’t be a jackass and try to defraud the insurance company.