This is a very simple flan that came to me from some brazilian friends. They acually call it "pudding" (pronounced portuguese style: poodjim).

Also for you flan haters out there: I have never had a restaurant flan that I could stand. This stuff, on the other hand, is Ambrosia.

Ingredients

  • 1 can of eagle brand condensed milk.
  • 1 can of whole milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar

Preparation

You need a sauce pan, oven proof baking pan (or you could use little ramekins) and a another bigger baking pan.

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.

Take the sugar and put it into a sauce pan. Heat the sugar over a burner on high. Stir the sugar until it forms a nice golden brown caramel syrup. This will take less than five minutes. Pour the caramel syrup into the custard pan.

Allow it to cool for a couple of minutes.

While the syrup cools, take the condensed milk, the milk and the eggs and combine in a mixer. Get it altogether nicely but don't beat it to death. Pour the egg/milk mixture into the custard pan.

Put the custard pan into the larger baking dish. Now fill the outer baking dish with enough water to come up about an inch around the outside of the custard pan. (This technique is called a bain-marie)

Bake the whole thing for about 45 minutes or until the custard sets in the center. You can tell when it has set by testing it with a fork or a knife in the center. The knife should come out clean or with just a little bit of custard "crumbs".

Let all this goodness cool in the refrigerator. When you are ready to serve it, take a knife and run it along the edges of the the pan. Then take a serving plate and put it on top of the custard. Carefully (but quickly) flip it over and the custard should just pop right on to the plate with a beautiful caramel topping.

Bow to your audience.