Black and White Sesame Panna Cotta


Difficulty: Easy to Intermediate

Time Considerations: Mixes and serves quickly, but must be prepared the day before serving and chilled overnight.

Expense: Low to Moderate, depending on availability of ingredients in your area and on whether or not you must buy a small mould or ramekins

Region: Japanese Recipes

Category: Cream, Custard and Sauce Recipes (Item is, technically speaking, a panna cotta, similar to flan or crème brûlée)

Alphabetical: file under Recipes from P to T as "Sesame Panna Cotta" or as "Panna Cotta: Sesame"



Ingredients below are listed in milliters or grams, then in cups or ounces, (then in fluid ounces or grams)

Ingredients

  • 300 ml, 1 1/3 cups, (10.5 fluid ounces) whole milk -- 2%, 1%, and skim milk tend to be too watery for the panna cotta to remain firm.
  • 200 ml, 7/8 cup, (7 fluid ounces) cream
  • 100 grams, 3.53 ounces, (100 grams) caster sugar. If caster sugar is unavailable, use granulated sugar in the manner described here.
  • 15 grams, 0.528 ounce, (15 grams) Japanese black sesame paste
  • 15 grams, 0.528 ounce, (15 grams) Japanese white sesame paste
  • 2 gelatin sheets.
  • A small mould, a few very small moulds, several ramekins, or several custard cups


Mix milk, cream and sugar and bring to a boil. Stir frequently to keep mixture from burning at the bottom of the bowl.

Divide the mixture into two approximately equal parts.

In one half of the mix, whisk in the Japanese black sesame paste and one gelatin sheet. Pour this mixture into a small mold or into 8 or fewer ramekins. Mixture should fill container approximately halfway. Place in the fridge to begin cooling.

In the other half of the heated mixture, whisk in the Japanese white sesame paste and one gelatin sheet.

Remove the black panna cotta from the fridge and pour the white mixture into the mould(s).

Put mould(s) back into fridge and chill overnight.

To serve panna cotta, dip each mould into hot water for a few seconds to ease the extraction. Then run a thin knife along the inside edge of the mold. Invert the mold on the center of the serving plate. This item looks best on a black plate. Garnish is optional.



Picture of item can be seen at http://www.asiacuisine.com.sg/video.php3?id=671
Recipe at site also includes fruit garnish suggestions



Note Regarding the Black and White Recipe Quest: If you are looking for a black and white panna cotta recipe that does not involve sesame paste or gelatin sheets, try the recipe at this node and drizzle a dark chocolate sauce on top. Flavored liquer or extract can be mixed with the chocolate sauce as well. I would suggest raspberry, orange, or caramel. Panna cotta is an exceptionally simple dessert that can be garnished in hundreds of ways or eaten plain.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.