Title: Vortex
Developer: Apple Computer, Inc.
Publisher: Apple Computer, Inc.
Year: 2006
Platforms: Fifth generation iPod
Genre: Arcade
Players: One player only

Vortex was one of the nine games first released for the iPod in September 2006. If you've ever played Tempest, then this applies the same "Let's take a good game and wrap it around a tube" idea to Breakout that Tempest applied to Space Invaders. If you haven't played Tempest, picture Breakout being projected onto the inside of a kitchen roll and you're getting close.

As far as Breakout clones go, this one is as good as any other. There are various power-ups to keep the game interesting, and the novelty of the play area being a cylinder shape rather than the usual rectangle provides an interesting twist on the theme. More importantly, the direction of the ball is controlled by hitting it with a certain part of the paddle, so there is an element of skill involved.

As far as iPod games go, Vortex is great. It was clearly designed from the ground up to take advantage of the Click Wheel so that the unusual controller wouldn't be a hindrance so much as a bonus. For the most part, you don't even have to press any buttons - simply sliding your thumb to the place you want the paddle to go is enough to control it.

The graphics and sounds hark back to the early nineties era of games, and although the explosions are arguably over the top for a simple game on a small screen, the pretty scenery certainly helps to immerse you in the game's world, spurring you on with the possibility that maybe the next level will look even more interesting.

If you're looking for a game to provide a quick burst of fun during an otherwise dull journey or lunch break, Vortex amply fulfills this role. It even remembers a paused game while the iPod is turned off, so you can resume it later on. It's perfect for a casual player to pick up and put down whenever it's convenient. Recommended.