Japanese word indicating "minute" or "minutes", as in the unit of time measuring 60 seconds. It is usually suffixed to a number to indicate a duration or time of day. Depending on what number it is suffixed to, it may or may not change pronunciation in a variety of ways.

Okimashoo, ne? Roku-ji juu-go-fun desu yo!
Wake up now, alright? It's 6:15!

Jugyoo wa juppun gurai owarimasu.
Class ends in ten minutes.

See also Japanese time and Japanese Numbers and Counting for more information on timekeeping and numbers.

Written fun, with the kanji for "minute;segment".

Someone said that fun was doing something profitless and impractical; I find this offensive. What is to stop work from being fun? The best way to pursue happiness is to have fun while working; when your work and your play merge, you're just about there. Work hard, then play hard, then rest. But have fun throughout.

Fun is what you have when you do what you enjoy.
Happiness is when you enjoyed your whole life.

Caspen wrote below that "lessons are not learnt through fun", however, I find that many lessons learned deepest are taught in a fun way. Play, and thus fun, is an integral part of early learning, and there's nothing (except irrational pessimism) to prevent life long learning from being fun. As to the rest -- I personally find problem solving fun as well; having fun doesn't have to be unconstructive. If you believe this, you're just letting your inner pessimist sour your life.

As to doing fun rather than having fun, I claim that's purely a gramatical convention, and myself not having much claim to being a linguist, I will not argue that either way. 8-) I have witnessed and experienced fun as a hallucinogen, however.

 

Are you having fun yet?

Fun, that short burst of strong enjoyment, is often mistaken for happiness. Americans (by which I mean those funny people on TV) don't search for happiness, they simply try to extend their fun. The problem with this is that fun, in my experience, is over rated. It's a disposable moment, that can last from a few seconds to a few hours, that's just great while it's happening, but afterwards what you are left with nothing but an empty memory. Lessons are not learnt through fun, lives are not enriched, and problems are not solved, only forgotten for a brief moment. Which is all well and good, but when that fun stops, your back where you started. Empty. (well... maybe I'm just bitter...)

Fun (?), n. [Perh. of Celtic origin; cf. Ir. & Gael. fonn pleasure.]

Sport; merriment; frolicsome amusement.

"Oddity, frolic, and fun."

Goldsmith.

To make fun of, to hold up to, or turn into, ridicule.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.