An often heard "gimme YO!" in Atlantic City or Las Vegas during Craps signifies a bet placed with the hopes that an eleven is rolled. It pays roughly 15 to 1.

A Japanese sentence particle which most often corresponds to a particular intonation pattern in English, or sometimes the exclamation "...you know!" Use of yo requires some care on the part of foreigners, as its use can be very rude in some situations and very polite in others.

The following definition of "yo" is described from the Rap Glossary which is supposedly part of an explanation of rap terms used in a corporate jingle for the company known as Asera (emphasis on the word known, they may be defunct).

Yo
Rappers accross the world use this word. Its precise meaning is vague, but the rule is it must be used several times in each sentence. "Yo, what be up with that, yo?"

You can view the entire rap glossary at http://www.techwrite.net/rapglossery.html
Since the 1420 this word has been used as a warning. Or heads up among sailors and the like "Yo there! Whales!"

The modern meaning seems to be fairly similar, though less alarming " Yo what's up?" Yo is used to get the attention of another person.
Yo is also Spanish for I.

"Yo no tengo ganas de salir."
I don't feel like going out.
Since Spanish verbs are conjugated very precisely, one need not use the personal pronouns at all. They're mostly used when you want to specify exactly who is doing something.

Quiero Taco Bell.
Quien quiere Taco Bell?
Yo quiero Taco Bell.

I want Taco Bell.
Who wants Taco Bell?
I want Taco Bell.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.