My future self came to see me and gave me some advice
He said “Work hard, and then leave them astonished”

Nach, «Leyenda»

1 «Fear of the Dark» has been a thing before rock.

2 Night comes whether we fear it or not. Doesn’t it make more sense to learn to live with it or even—say—learn from it?

3 Writing is more than the act of putting words down. There’s a non-physical aspect to it.

4 Writing—good writing—happens all the time. It starts with observation, be of objects, speech or feelings.

5 Teaching photosynthesis as having a «day phase» and a «night phase» is only correct in a technical and simplistic way. It’s more correct to teach that it has a light-dependent process, and a light-independent process.

6 Teaching writing as happening only when one puts words on paper is only correct in a technical and simplistic way. It’s more correct to teach that it has a night-dependent process, and a night-independent process.

7 Observation of physical things happens in photoreceptive organs only when they receive enough electromagnetic radiation of the appropriate frequencies. Observation of speech happens anytime you get someone else’s message through any medium. Observation of feelings happens any time you are with yourself and pay attention to it.

8 Absence of light helps one pay attention within.

9 At nightfall, the physical observations are at a maximum and are prime to be captured before the brain forgets them.

10 Just before dawn, the dreams and inner observations are at a maximum and are prime to be captured before the heart disintegrates them.

11 Observe constantly. Use the nights to write. That’s how your words take root and eventually bear fruit.

Title comes from etouffee's great mind, but he insists on giving me credit.


If You Have to Ask ⇐ Part of Brevity Quest 2020 (284 words) ⇒ I should ask my barber where he gets his hair cut, then go there and slowly make my way up the chain