If you've defenestrated your computer, you're doubtlessly annoyed that you now have 2 useless "Windows keys" on your keyboard. Come to think of it, you probably don't know what they do on Windows! But if you're using XFree86 (as supplied with Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and maybe even Solaris x86), you can make use of them!

Make up a file named .xmodmaprc in your home directory, and insert these lines into it:

! Set up "super" keys on PC keyboards
keycode 115 = Super_L
keycode 116 = Super_R
add mod4 = Super_L Super_R
Run "xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc", or (even better) arrange in your .xsession or .xinitrc to run this command every time you start X. Now the 2 windows keys will generate "Super" shift codes. But how can you use them?

Well, recall that Emacs stands for "Escape Meta Alt Control Super" (hyper shift is also sometimes defined). Surely you have some use for doubling the number of key combinations!

For instance, I usually bind "Super-z" to iconify-emacs, rebinding "Control-z" to iconify-frame. None of the super-keys are bound by default, so they're all free for you to use!

Note: Some keyboards may generate different codes; use xev to check if yours is one of them (run the program, move the mouse cursor to the window, and press each of the keys several times, observing the output to know the keycode. Substitute these values for "115" and "116" above.