I received a letter today from "my" senator, John Breaux, regarding a fax I sent his office about the Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act. The letter I received is clearly a form letter, and certainly reinforces my feeling that senators and other government types just don't give a shit about big business ruling the land.

Here's the letter.


Dear Ms. $LASTNAME

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act, S. 2048. I understand your concerns and hope the affected industries can create a technological solution to the piracy problem.

As you may know, Senator Fritz Hollings introduced S. 2048 on March 21, 2002. This bill would establish certain security system standards to prevent the illegal distribution of copyrighted digital material. Further, it empowers the FCC to determine whether digital media device manufacturers, consumer groups and copyright owners have reached agreement on standards that fulfill the bill's requirements and to enforce those standards. This bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, where it is currently pending.

As the Congress works to achieve greater broadband access for the nation, it must also ensure that copyrighted information passed along the network is protected from piracy. Without this protection, copyright owners have been unwilling to provide their material online. As long as there is a lack of high quality, high content material on the Internet, the demand for high speed Internet access will remain low. Congressional attempts to increase broadband access will achieve little if the content providers are unwilling to place their material online for fear of piracy.

Rest assured I will keep your concerns in mind as the Senate continues to work for greater broadband access. In the meantime, if I can assist you in any other way, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,
(signed)
JOHN BREAUX
United States Senator


Clearly, he missed the point entirely. I originally wrote about how this will affect online radio, a subject which he has apparently chosen to ignore. Le sigh. Fucking politicians.

And that Fritz Hollings pillock can bite my third nipple.