Co-founder of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, along with Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin.

One of the greatest wizards of his day, Godric Gryffindor hailed from the moors and although his birthdate is unknown, we do know that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago and that Gryffindor was the first headmaster (lasting until he was 70). Gryffindor placed much value on bravery and loyalty and thus students in Gryffindor are placed there for these virtues (and are represented with a lion as their house animal).

It was Gryffindor who came up with the solution of how to place students in houses once the founding four had passed away. He took off his hat and it was enchanted to make the decision, the sorting hat.

Albus Dumbledore has Gryffindor's ruby encrusted sword in his possession and it is widely believed that it was this sword which Harry pulls out of the sorting hat when faced with Voldemort at the end of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, as Dumbledore says, "Only a true Gryffindor could have done that."

Gryffindor strongly believed that magical education should be available to all witches and wizards, regardless of their magical background. This was something that he and Salazar Slytherin fought frequently over, as Slytherin desired to restrict entry to Hogwarts to students from pure blooded magical families. Eventually, it was this ongoing arguement which drove Slytherin from the school.

Back to The Harry Potter Project