In Greek mythology a Cypriote king and sculptor. Pygmalion fell in love with a ebony statue that he had made and named it Galatea. Seeing his love, the goddess of love Aphrodite gave life to the Galatea and saw to it that they got married.

Ovidius/Ovid wrote about this in his grand epos Metamorphoses and the romantic Rousseau for instance used the same theme as a symbol for perfect love.

George Bernard Shaw wrote a play bearing the king’s name, and Shaw’s work was later made a musical as My Fair Lady. Shaw’s comedy Pygmalion was first played in 1913 and is one of the modern classics. Phonetics professor Higgins and his protégé Eliza Doolittle are often referenced in other plays and writings.

THE FLOWER GIRL (Eliza Doolittle) {far from reassured} Then what did you take down my words for? How do I know whether you took me down right? You just shew me what you’ve wrote about me. {The note taker opens his book and holds it steadily under her nose, though the pressure of the mob trying to read it over his shoulders would upset a weaker man}. Whats that? That aint proper writing. I cant read that.
THE NOTE TAKER (Henry Higgins) I can. {Reads, reproducing her pronunciation exactly} "Cheer ap, Keptin; n' baw ya flahr orf a pore gel."

reference: ne.se, about.com