The XP is for "experience" or "experienced", supposedly. What do you make of that, fellow Everythingians? Does this mean that the beloved Billiam III truly is nothing but a XP Whore?

XP in the OS? The rumors have it that dem bones and nate got to live at the Microsoft Mansion - the Microsoft version of the Playboy Mansion - for weeks and weeks, revealing the secret engine and functionality involved in the whole E2 XP concept. Will there finally be voting functionality in all Microsoft products? Can you vote and give instant feedback to the Microsoft Engineers on features much like here on E2?

Ok, enough of that, here's the real deal:

Windows XP was formerly known as Whistler. Following Windows XP is Office XP, formerly code named Office 10. Perhaps the best news with this new Windows version, is that Microsoft finally ditches the old Windows 9X-code. Even the consumer version of XP will be based on the NT kernel, which is infinitely more stable that the one currently in Windows ME. There are be a total of five versions of Windows XP (Home Edition was eliminated with the introduction of Service Pack 2):

  • Windows XP Home Edition
  • Windows XP Professional
  • Windows XP Server
  • Windows XP Advanced Server 
  • Windows XP Data Center (thx thecap)

Features: 

  • Copy Protection by product activation. This means that you will get one unique code for activation.
  • 64-bit versions available for the XP Server, XP Professional, and Professional Server. Supports only the AMD64 architecture, no support for Intel Xeon 64. 
  • New user interface called Luna. This is a lot simpler and more customizable than the old one. Looks more like Mac, which is true for about every release of Windows anyway. Skins will be available. 
  • Better game compability. Better than Win 2000 that is, which sucks, really.
  • Fusion is a DLL-controller that sees to it that the right version of the DLL's are run.
  • Requires at least 128 MB memory and probably something like 700 MHz processor. 
  • Trash can moved to bottom right. Call Steve!
  • Includes Windows Media Player, Microsoft Movie Maker and a CD burner software. 
  • Possibility to emulate previous versions of Windows down to 3.1 if you want to, for some reason. I wonder how they emulate the crashes, but I'm sure the Microsoft if anyone can manage that. 

Buzzwords to look out for: SOAP, XML, .net