Oregon is the 33rd state in the United States, admitted to the union on February 14, 1859. Oregon is bordered by the Pacific Ocean on the west, California and Nevada on the south, Idaho on the east, and Washington state on the north.

The state fish is the Chinook salmon.
The state flag consists of a blue field with the state seal surrounded by the words "State of Oregon" and "1859" on the front, and a beaver (Oregon is the beaver state) on the back. It is the only two-sided state flag.
The state flower is the Oregon Grape.
The state tree is the Douglas Fir.

There 10 national forests in Oregon, and one National Park, Crater Lake. There are 10 lighthouses along the rugged Oregon coast.

There are 36 counties and 240 cities in Oregon.

Oregon's 10 largest cities in 1998:
Portland, Eugene, Salem, Gresham, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Medford, Springfield, Corvallis, and Albany.

Oregon's 10 largest counties in 1998:
Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas, Lane, Marion, Jackson, Deschutes, Linn, Douglas, and Yamhill.

Fun facts: Oregon does not have a sales tax, it pioneered the bottle deposit law, and you can't pump your own gas.

Those who say it rains in Oregon a lot are only partially correct. On the western side of the state, it does tend to be wet, but the less-populated east side of the mountains are generally quite dry.